I am currently researching blogging and how it is impacting corporate hiring/firing policies. In my research, I have stumbled upon a Blogger's Code of Conduct, proposed by Tim O'Reilly. Below are the 7 main ideas from his proposal:
1. Take responsibility not just for your own words, but for the comments you allow on your blog.
2. Label your tolerance level for abusive comments.
3. Consider eliminating anonymous comments.
4. Ignore the trolls.
5. Take the conversation offline, and talk directly, or find an intermediary who can do so.
6. If you know someone who is behaving badly, tell them so.
7. Don't say anything online that you wouldn't say in person.
The code is a nice reminder that blogs are not intended to be used as someone's personal diary or emotional dumping ground. In my research I have discovered numerous cases of employees being fired for their blogging practices. I will post more on this subject when my research paper is completed. (I know, you can hardly wait, right?!)
Just a quick note and inspiration for Bloggers everywhere!